Edition: November 2023
To celebrate the launch of our subsidised HOTBIN food composter offer for residents, we gave you the chance to win one of six HOTBINs worth almost £300.
Our winners shared their top tips to reduce food waste to enter our prize draw.
Some of their great tips included:
- Using up leftover ingredients to create rainbow stir frys and risottos or cooking them up into tasty potato cakes.
- Getting children involved in cooking their own food.
- Keeping bread in the fridge for freshness and turning ends of loaves into breadcrumbs to save waste.
- Using coffee grounds on the garden.
- Freezing herbs so you always have them at hand for cooking.
- Cooking down fruit that’s getting past its best to make delicious compotes.
Why recycling is great
Some 41.5% of our average waste bin is made up of food waste. However, up to 70% of that waste can be avoided.
By finding ways to reduce our food waste, composting, or sharing our surplus food, we can save money, save the environment, and support our communities too.
Go greener at home
If you missed out on the competition, Horsham District residents can still purchase a HOTBIN with a 10% discount, or bag a discounted compost bin through West Sussex County Council.
Read the latest edition
You may also like
Read our top tips on ways to reduce waste and the amount we spend this Christmas.
We want to thank residents for completing our climate action survey – we had over 750 responses.
Located on Horsham’s beautiful Causeway, the Museum offers a changing programme of galleries, activities, and events.